   Re: XSD: Proposed Goals

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 98 20:24:09 UT

John Simpson pointed out:
>I'm thinking especially of the poor soul who comes upon the Structure
>Definition Document SDD months from now, and does a hypermail search on the
>acronym. Result set would include a lot of stuff from past months that has
>to do with the OTHER SDD -- particularly the debate about whether it's
>needed or even useful at all.
>
>No suggestions immediately spring to mind.... Maybe "DSDs," for Document
>Structure Definitions?

And here I thought it was bad enough that Document Type Definitions and
Document Type Declarations were so similar in name if not in content.  Eek.

I'd rather not use DSD - I think we'd do well to avoid calling these 'Document
Definitions', because they may well be used in situations that aren't
traditionally in the realm of 'documents.'  Hmm...

Sex, drugs, rock n' roll, and now the standalone declaration.  Maybe Structure
Definition Instance?  SDI - like Reagan's old Star Wars bit.  That sort of
loses the meta-status of the SDD, though.  Structure Definition Schema (SDS)?
It brings schema back in... I can probably live with that here. Can other
people?

I'll keep using SDD until we find something better.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)