Lists Home |
Date Index |
- From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
- To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 26 May 98 13:17:56 UT
A revised set of goals for XSD follows, based on Peter's public comments and
the private comments of two other participants. These are still open to
change until Friday.
Per previous usage, XSD (Extensible or XML Structure Definitions) refers to
the standard under construction. SDD (Structure Definition Document) refers to
the schema/XMLDTD/etc. created using that standard. (Better definitions are
on the list of things to come very shortly.)
1. SDDs shall use XML document syntax.
2. SDDs shall be transformable into an XML 1.0 DTD containing the same element
and attribute structures.
3. SDDs shall be capable of representing the normalized element and attribute
structures defined in XML 1.0 DTDs.
4. SDDs shall be parseable, manageable, and manipulable using the same tools
used to parse, manage, and manipulate XML documents.
5. SDDs shall be easy to create, modify, and document.
6. SDDs shall be easy to use in combination with a parser to provide
structural validation of documents.
7. XSD shall include an XML 1.0 DTD defining the structure of SDDs.
8. XSD shall suggest mechanisms for applying SDDs to documents.
9. XSD shall include mechanisms for extending the information included in
10. The XSD specification shall be readable and clear, using terminology and
nomenclature as close to the XML 1.0 specification as possible.
11. The XSD specification will comply with and be consistent with W3C
recommendations regarding XML.
11 is new, and hopes to address both XSD's relationship with other parts of
the XML standard (and XML-related standards) and XSD's relationship with the
This is a slightly-improved _start_. Changes to language, meaning, order,
terminology, etc. are
all welcome, as are additions.
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies
xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
To (un)subscribe, mailto:email@example.com the following message;
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org the following message;
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:email@example.com)