   Re: XSD: Proposed Goals, Rev. 2

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:56:42 -0400

At 02:17 PM 5/27/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
	[lots of good stuff]
>Questions:
>3 - Paul Prescod suggested removing it.  I like it because it sets a limited
>task, the 'normalized' DTDs. I think 'capable of' leaves open the
possibility
>that SDDs can do more than just this.

I must have missed Paul's argument for removing this point. Goal #3 seems
straightforward enough to me, and the "capable of" (as you say) gives some
wiggle room.

Maybe add the phrase "except for the design goals" to #10? :)

>9 - Should we add some kind of bounds to keep SDDs from redefining document
>instance syntax?

Yes. I think this is inherent in some of the other goals but it wouldn't
hurt to make it explicit.

>12 - Alain Deseine proposed a metadata mechanism.  I hope we have the
kinds of
>metadata he needs in this note.  I don't want to march on metadata a la RDF
>with this module.

Yes.

John E. Simpson			| It's no disgrace t'be poor,
simpson@polaris.net		| but it might as well be.
					| 		-- "Kin" Hubbard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest