   Re: XSchema: Goals, final version

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 18:11:05

At 15:18 29/05/98 UT, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Note the name change: XSD is now XSchema.  _No one_ defended XSD.  Several
>people liked XSchema.  For now, SDDs are XSchema documents.  It could become
>XSD, but at this point, we don't need any more naming confusion.

Later on 'documents' is used to represent both XSchema documents and
document instances. Would 'XSchemas' be a useful shorthand for 'XSchema
documents'?

>4. XSchema documents shall be parseable, manageable, and manipulable using
the
>same tools
>used to parse, manage, and manipulate XML documents.
>
>5. XSchema documents shall be easy to create, read, and modify, and shall
>provide authoring support.

What I meant by 'authoring support' is that XSchemas should provide support
for creating document instances (e.g. helping to constrain attribute
values, content, etc.) This clause might look as if 'authoring support'
applied to the XSchema rather than the instance.

	P.

Looks good.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg