   Re: XSchema Question 1: RDF

  • From: Liam Quin <liamquin@interlog.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 04:08:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> How will XSchema use/relate to RDF?

"There's a difficult and complex piece of work going on at W3C that
 has clear and direct impact on what we are doing, but we're a little
 intimidated by it and want something simpler, sooner"

I rather think that the best long-term result will come by working
closely with the RDF people.  It isn't clear to me that an XSchema
should be an RDF application, but it _does_ seem clear that where
there is overlap, there should be compatibility.

Furthermore, where a lot of work has gone into researching RDF,
perhaps XSchema can benefit.  For example, fun thought it was, I
for one wouldn't like to have to hash out the Dublin Core again :-)

Perhaps the answer is, see where the overlap turns out to be, and
make the most of it.  This in practice means (1) understanding the
current RDF draft, (2) keeping an eye on both, (3) not being afraid
to merge.

People _will_ have to deal with RDF, so let's not make the world more
complex than it already needs to be by doing the same things
differently...

Where XSchema does different things from RDF, though, where the overlap
is not complete, clearly it will need to go its own way.

Lee

--
Liam Quin --  the barefoot typographer -- Toronto
lq-text: freely available Unix text retrieval

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)