   Re: What are schemata

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 98 00:12:28 UT

Marcus Carr wrote:
>I would have thought that support for compound documents
>and partial validation would involve much more than the
>relatively simple current goals of Xschema.

Will XSchema, by itself, provide support for compound documents and partial
validation? No.

Will XSchema make such things easier?  Yes.  As long as we stay out of the
morass of questions like 'what is a document?', we don't need to worry about
root elements and other charming relics.

I think that moving from a DTD-based system, where behavior has been
prescribed for SGML parsers and is effectively unchangeable (the glories of
the installed base), to a new system that will necessarily require a different
mechanism for connecting to documents, will require a reconsideration of the
questions regarding the connection of a schema to its documents.

In short, XSchema itself won't answer the question - all it defines is
elements and attributes, with no grave concern for which one is the root.  The
declaration connecting the schema to the document (or whatever mechanism makes
that connection) has the opportunity to present partial schemas for partial
documents, compound schemas for compound documents.  That intelligence must
reside in the application, and I hope it will be specified in a different
standard.

I don't see us defining any more than a very simple mechanism (if indeed we
define a mechanism) in XSchema 1.0, however.  All we've committed to doing is
providing a schema with a transformation to a DTD.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)