   Re: XSchema Question 2: Namespaces

  • From: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 07:40:12 -0700

Simon wrote:

> members.aol.com/simonstl/xschema/ is
> quite a
> chunk and not likely to be stable, long term.

it doesn't necessarily NEED to be stable, since any "specification" we
come up with is for experimental use only as our way of assiting the XML
working group for when they define the REAL spec yes?

Let's not forget that - although I have been personally amazed at the
unprecedented usefulness of this discussion group for its unprecedented
assistance to the WG on numerous occasions (and myself personally :-)
It is the XML WG -- NOT US --  that will ultimately define "XSchema's"
syntax  etc. (if that is indeed what hey decide it should be called).

XML Schemas will be incorporated into the XML core itself, and must be
done so using due process...(to pick its prefix, or what have you...)

SPEAKING OF WHICH  WG members (Tim I believe this is referring to one of
your comments)  I have a burning question --

You mentioned that we don't have to pick such a prefix -- then please
clarify my inquiry regarding the unique prefixes for RDF and RDF Schema
that -- if I understand correctly -- are very much required.

Is it an "RDF thang?"

thanks,

lisa

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> SSL>I propose XSC for the namespace prefix, unless someone knows of a
> SSL>conflict or thinks three letters is too many.
> >
> TB>The prefix is *irrelevant*.  Only the URI matters.  Go read the draft.
> TB>-Tim
>
> Of course the prefix is technically irrelevant. (I have, indeed, read the
> draft, even the latest one.)  It would be nice, however, to use something
> consistently in the XSchema specification, instead of confusing people with
> random prefixes.  I'd like to see XSC used in the spec.
>
> I think you'll find in common usage that people will prefer to refer to
> namespaces through common references, and that prefixes _do_ matter, whether
> or not they do technically.  The URI is handy, and necessary, to avoid
> conflicts, but is anyone really going to talk about "namespace
> urn:uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882"? Not unless they're showing off
> their memory, in which case they might do better to memorize pi to X digits.
>
> David Megginson wrote:
> DM>it would be useful to provide a few examples with alternative
> DM>prefixes, just to make this point clear.
>
> This is a good idea, though I'd like to see it confined to the portion of the
> spec covering XSchema and namespaces.
>
> DM>You don't need a domain name, just a URL.  For example,
> DM>if you were to submit the XSchema spec as a note to the
> DM>W3C, you could use the URL of the note; alternatively,
> DM>perhaps xml.com would provide you with a stable URL that
> DM>you can use.
>
> So, any contenders for the URI?  members.aol.com/simonstl/xschema/ is quite a
> chunk and not likely to be stable, long term.
>
> Simon St.Laurent
> Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies
>
> xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
> Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
> To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
> (un)subscribe xml-dev