   Re: XCond: towards an XML version of conditional inclusion

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:15:21 +0100

>I would like to sketch an improved replacement for the lost
SGML INCLUDE
>and IGNORE marked sections.  For a preliminary draft, see
>http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XCond-draft-19980602.html .

A useful facility, but the proposal seems unnecessarily
complex to me. I don't see the need to have the dependency
on external language processors and expression syntax. A
special attribute XCond:include="Yes"|"No", whose Yes/No
value can be picked up from an entity, would seem to do the
job just as well. If you want to generate the Yes/No value
using some external evaluators, I would have thought PIs
were the right mechanism to do that.

Also I don't see the need to specify it in terms of groves
rather than XML documents, it might be more elegant, but it
means you need to refer to another specification other than
the XML standard.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest