   RE: XSchema Question 3: Internal/External subsets

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:34:48 +1000

Good post.

One thing also that must be recognised is that each "stakeholder" or viewer
of a document has different interests. So there is not just a jumble of
different schemas, they can be to some extent organized or selected by
viewpoint. (This is a difficulty with namespaces: I think it is biases
towards having only one schema do everything.)

XML markup declarations are definitely targeted at document creators for
example. So there may be some use in making XSchema targeted at providing
recipients of data the information they need to use it. I.e. a separation of
"creation" constraints from "usage/storage" constraints.  Content models
might be a creation constraint, while fixed attributes and extended
attribute types might be a usage constraint, if you catch the drift.

In other words, perhaps rather than concentrating on the nature of documents
(since XML already has a model built-in) or of assertions (like RDF, since
good theory does not guarantee usefulness--remember Prolog) perhaps Xschema
should situate itself as being useful in some definite parts of workflows.

Rick Jelliffe

> From:  W. E. Perry

> In fact, a great many of these standards and suggestions will be
> used as schemata, or
> document content restraints, or typing mechanisms, where they are
> useful in the markup
> of particular content.
> That object space must therefore be in the control of
> the final user
> application, which not only arbitrates among a number of
> candidate instances output by
> parsing modules, but may supply overriding objects altogether its own.
>
> This is the object model which Xschema and its analogues should
> implicitly be aiming
> toward. We will not get there today, and our immediate focus is
> the details of
> XSchema, but this is the framework in which I think that our
> modules must eventually
> compete for each document consumer's favor.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)