   XML / XSL Disparity

  • From: singba <singba@msr.epm.ornl.gov>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 10:44:56 -0400

I am writing a very simple, Java based, search engine for XML
documents.  I commonly use XSL for presentation of my XML
documents.  I find that it is useful to modify or add to the contents
of the XML using XSL for presentation purposes. Are there any
provisions for allowing a user to search for what they see and get the
correct
document/view using a general purpose search engine?  Obviously,
one can not just search the XML file.

As an example, imagine a date stored as 19980604 in an XML file.
An XSL file converts that to 06-04-1998 for presentation.  The user
writes that date down and later searches for it but....

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad Singletary
Center For Collaborative Technologies Research
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)