   RE: ANNOUNCE: Virtual Hyperglossary (VHG) DTD 1.0 alpha

  • From: "Joel Riedesel" <jriedese@jnana.com>
  • To: "'Peter Murray-Rust'" <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:36:25 -0600

Preface:
  I'm using this vhg.dtd to test out some work we're doing with parsing out
  the DTD and using that to allow authors to reference data in documents
that
  use that DTD (and subsequently be able to reason upon that data).

DTD Parsing Assumption:
  I had made an assumption (probably quite incorrectly) that there would
only be
  element in the DTD that wasn't referenced by other elements and therefore
  would use that element as my "top" element.

Question:
  This vhg.dtd has a locatorLink that is not referenced by any other
  element in the DTD.  The semantics of extendedLink say that it will
  always contain locatorLink elements, but the DTD for extendedLink doesn't
  actually state that.

So... somewhat obviously, I end up with the locatorLink as my top element.
Oops.  (Looks like I need to at least provide for the possibility of
multiple
top elements and let our author choose the correct one.)

Is this type of DTD practice in any way standard?  It sure feels a bit
messy to define things this way (makes it tough to use the DTD by another
program and actually automate XML things...).  If the authors of the VHG.dtd
find the need to define things this way, is that due to a current limitation
of DTDs in general?

Feel free to correct any misunderstanding I may have (which I won't
be at all surprised about).

Thanks.

> The VHG (Virtual Hyperglossary) is a simple but powerful approach for
> supporting semantics and terminology using XML technology. The first
> publicly available DTD (with documentation and examples) is at:
> http://www.vhg.org.uk
> and
> http://www.vhg.org.uk/dtd

---