   Re: XSchema Spec, Sections 2.0 and 2.1 (Draft 1)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 98 14:14:57 UT

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>Almost all DTDs, or fragments which can stand by themselves as
>reuseable components, end up with a similar stucture which allows
>metadata headers, the actual body, and a section for annotations
>and floating elements.

and proposed: (cleaned up for my namespace error)
> <!ELEMENT XSC:XSchema (XSC:head?, XSC:body, HTML:body?)>
> <!ELEMENT XSC:Body
>	( XSC:Doc?, (XSC:ElementDecl | XSC:Entity | XSC:Notation |
> 	XSC:Namespace |  XSC:XSchema)*)>

***The full text of his DTD proposal is at the bottom of this message.***

I'm not completely opposed to this suggestion, though it does seem to add
another layer of elements.  What this raises for me is what information needs
to be supported by these top level XSchema elements.  Our Doc element, John's
DTD, refers to a %horiz.model entity that isn't declared.

Currently I've suggested that the XSchema element use the following attribute
declarations:
><!ATTLIST XSC:XSchema
>    XSC:Version CDATA #FIXED "1.0"
>    XSC:MimeType CDATA "application/xml"
>    XSC:FileExtension CDATA "xml">

Version, MIME, and File Extension are all very well, but what do we do for an
XSchema title?  Wouldn't it seem useful to provide human-readable titles or
other information, much as the headers in Rick's proposal do?

We could use the XSC:Doc element to provide this additional header information
 as well.  Suggestions?

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

Full proposal from Rick:
<!-- ===================================================== -->
<!-- An XSchema has a top-level structure sinmilar to HTML -->
<!ELEMENT XSC:XSchema (XSC:head?, XSC:body, HTML:body?)>
 <!ATTLIST XSC:XSchema
     XSC:Version CDATA #FIXED "1.0" >

<!-- Multiple title for i18n. Multiple meta for information
such as file extension and MIME types -->
<!ELEMENT HTML:head    (HTML:title*, HTML:meta*)>

<!ELEMENT HTML:title   ( #PCDATA )>
 <!ATTLIST HTML:title
	XML:lang CDATA "en-US" ><!-- i.e. this is the default -->

<!ELEMENT HTML:meta
 <!ATTLIST HTML:meta
	http-equiv NMTOKEN #IMPLIED
	name       NMTOKEN #IMPLIED