   Re: XSchemas and DTDs

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 15:54:43 UT

Paul Prescod wrote:
>If the DTD is algorithmically derived from the XSchema, then the document
>is guaranteed to pass both tests if it passes the XSchema. Otherwise each
>test is performed and reported separately by the appropriate software.

This is going to be one of the 'hard' issues in the weeks to come, I fear.  I
wish that the XML spec had discussed processors (non-validating processors,
that is) and validation as a module on top of those processors, instead of
describing validating processors as a single unit.  Of course, this would have
required building the spec quite differently.

Non-validating processors and interfaces like SAX seem like useful starting
points for the processing discussion, upon which we can build our
schema-verifying layers. I'd love to see a verification implementation that
behaves like David Megginson's XAF - using SAX to parse the document and its
XSchema (XAF is about architectural forms), then using SAX to return the
'verified' document to the application above.  This kind of 'layering' seems
like an appropriate model to me.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)