   Re: XSchema Progress and Strategy (II)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 98 20:15:52 UT

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>Remember, of course, that we are likely to need some sort of reference
>implementation. DavidM did this for SAX, and that makes a major impact. My
>feeling here is that we should *identify* the software components that are
>required and make sure that we aren't building up unforeseen problems. (I
>don't think we *are*, but it's always easy to underestimate.) Of the top of
>my head we shall need:
>	- a DTD parser (for transformation to XSchema). Do we get everything out
>of SAX (I haven't looked in detail)?
>	- a tool for navigating the XSchema tree/patterns. Are DOM tools the >right
thing? Can XPointer language do this? (I used this a lot in JUMBO1 -
>haven't finalised XPtr for J2). e.g. find all RULEs within an ElementType
>(or whatever).
>	- something for interpreting the Rules
>	- a DTD writer.
>	- some simple transformations (e.g. XML2XML, XML2HTML (for docs). Maybe
>SAXON has a role?

The rules vs. nesting debate will need to be sorted out before I'm comfortable
attempting any of these implementations.

There are several implementations I'd like to see.  I suspect the reference
implementation should be a simple XSchema -> DTD converter.  This shouldn't be
too difficult a mapping given the parameters we've set for ourselves.  I can
try to pull this off, though I can't promise that performance will be
delightful.

The other base implementation I'd like to see is a verifier that uses SAX to
get its input file and uses SAX to present its output to an application (sort
of like David Megginson's XAF).

If XSchema seems useful, I think we'll be able to make it run.  Soon we'll
know...

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)