   Re: XSchema Spec Section 2.2, Draft 1

  • From: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:46:34 -0400

Ron Bourret wrote:

> I must be missing something here, because I can't see any advantage to using
> mixed content here.  In fact, your inability to specify the format you want in
> your DTD is just another argument to avoid mixed data.  Why not just use the
> following content models, which you've probably already thought of?

Michael's convention is essentially just markup minimization. In full
SGML, he would actually use markup minimization to force the #PCDATA into
its own logical element (even without tags).

Nevertheless, I see no good resaon to restrain him from doing this. Markup
is a user interface and we need not make it unnecessarily unpleasent. XML
DTDs do not allow PCDATA content at random places because of whitespace
handling problems and backwards compatibility. I do not think that XSchema
has any such constraint. #PCDATA should probably be able to go anywhere an
element can go, unless someone can come up with a strong reason why not.
#ANY should also be able to go anywhere an element can go. This will allow
the natual expression of extensible content models.

Three things trust above all else: Your knowledge of your craft
That someone turns a profit, and that you will get the shaft
http://www.geezjan.org/humor/computers/threes.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)