   Re: Attributes with Intent (and namespaces)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>,xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 08:35:30

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

At 13:20 01/07/98 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
[...]
>We can implement attribute inheritance by SAX or other event-driven
>API's (e.g., XML in perl).
>
>We only have to introduce one method of the class DocumentHandler.
>
>	setInheritedAttributes(String)
>
>	This sets names of inherited attributes.  By default,
>	"xml:lang" and "xml:space" are inherited.
>
>An attributeList (the second argument for startElement)
>now contains attribute-value pairs for inherited
>attributes.
>
>Does such an API cover your concern?

If we agree on it I think it's undoubtedly the best way forward :-). IOW we
build a public implementation of 'inheritance' - make the code and examples
public and that effectively defines what the community at large understands
by the spec. In this way anyone on the SIG or WGs who has a differently
interpretation can speak up now.

The only qualification is that the API has to be very well documented so we
all agree what it does!

	P.

>Of course, this has to become namespace-aware.  That is, the argument
>of setInheritedAttribute should be a pair of URI and local part.

Of course. And working this out in public would be valuable.

	P.
net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev