   Re: Dates in XML

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 11:54:03 +0200

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> I was looking at the XML-Data proposal just today and thinking 'why don't
> we use the primitives it defines, just as they are, without the rest of
> XML-data?'. This encourages me to offer the question to a wider audience. I
> am seriously missing a specification for  primitives - what do other people
> think about borrowing those from XML-data?

in general, yes.
i have some questions. (i have the note from 19980105 at the moment)

1. is the namespace region "urn:uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882/"
still the one to use?

2. is the <it>dt</it>:dt the attribute to use?

3. are the types in the "specific datatypes" sections the ones to use?
   if so, i would prefer not to use types like "fixed.14.4", and would find a
primary type
   "fixed" with parameters "magnitude" and "precision" (or whatever they might
be) more
   useful.

4. the expansion conventions suggested in the namespace section
 a. go beyond the namespace wd:
    the region of the type attribute name has an implicit dynamic scope over
the which
    covers the attribute value. up until now, i've been fixing the default
region for
    attribute values and attribute regions independantly as the region of the
element gi.
    this alternative convention from the data-types note makes just as much
sense, but would
    need agreement.
 b. propose expansion rules for universal names which differ from the
namespace wd.
    this problem merely one of exposition, as there need be no literal
expansion, but it
    might lead to confusion. in addition
 c. use "name" rather than "ns" and leave the impression that the uri would contribute
    to the process of locating additional information on the type

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)