   Re: <XML:SCRIPT>

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 98 16:12:52 UT

David Megginson wrote:
>By far the best solution is for developers to keep their scripts out
>of line and point to them -- that lets each language (programming or
>markup) be represented using its natural syntax.  The advantages are
>quite significant:
>[...plausible advantages snipped...]

I see you like to keep me cranky!  While the recommendation that code and
content be kept separate is indeed appropriate for many applications, it
doesn't make sense in every case.  Interface components within web browsers
are rarely generic code divorced from abstract content; the code and content
tend to be much more closely intertwined partners, completely dependent on
each other for proper operation.

Keeping scripts separate is indeed useful when it's generic and reusable code;
keeping them separate when they are tightly bound to a particular document
instance is much more of a hassle than it's worth, in my strongly-felt
opinion.  (Keep in mind that I did Dynamic HTML: A Primer before XML: A Primer
appeared on the radar screen.)

That said, programmers will be stuck using the
even-more-grotesque-than-comments CDATA marked section for precisely those
instances and we'll have to deal with it.

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)