   NOTATIONs vs PIs (was Parser question...)

  • From: Kim Covil <kimc@ned.dem.csiro.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 14:19:28 +0800

I have just realised that my first phrasing of this question
got a bit lost in my last post...

I am still a little unsure of the use of NOTATIONs... I think
they would be perfect for encapsulating data that will be stored
in an xml file that describes a resource...ie:

<!NOTATION arcinfo...
<!NOTATION vulcan...
<!NOTATION [others]...

<!ELEMENT gisdata (parameters)>
<!ATTLIST gisdata type (raster|vector|sites|3d) #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT parameters (#PCDATA)>
<!ATTLIST parameters package NOTATION (arcinfo|vulcan|...) #REQUIRED>

The idea is that the xml file describes a gis data resource and
this element is used by a processing program to retrieve that
resource... It is application specific data that is not required
to be parsed by the processing application... it just needs to hand
the whole lot to the correct gis package and expect the resource
to be returned to it...

Is this sort of thing correct usage of NOTATIONs or should this be
done using PIs and if so could someone show me how it would be
done...?

I think my problem lies in that I am not clear on the difference
between the two...

Thanks for any assistance,

Kim Covil

Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc@ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/