   XLF Initiative Status

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:40:30 -0700

Hello,

I have promised to keep everyone on XML-DEV updated as the XLF Initiative
progresses.  Below is the latest status of the XLF Intiative.

BTW, the XLF Initiative Home Page is at: http://www.docuverse.com/xlf/

====

MOMENTUM

We now have well over 50 participants from small and large companies,
universities, government, and research institutes.  In another word, XLF is
picking up steam.

HELP WANTED

We now have our Editors: Gavin Thomas Nicol and Lisa Rein.

Gavin is, of course, well known to everyone in the XML world.  Frankly, I
don't know how Gavin will be able to split his time between the DOM spec and
XLF spec but I am grateful for his participation.  Lisa Rein was a member of
the RDF WG and has written countless articles, reports.  Lisa also holds the
title of World's Prettiest XML Nut (see
http://www.finetuning.com/editor.html).

INGREDIENTS

I have invited web server log analyzer companies and they actually showed
up!  We now need to invite some of the missing notable server
companies/groups like Apache, Netscape, and Sun.  I am open to suggestions
and especially contact informations.

OBJECTIVES

XLF Initiative's immediate goal is to design the XML-based web server log
format.  Its long term goal remains to be the design of universal log format
based on XML.

NAMES

Until now, the name XLF has been thrown about careless but now is the time
to clarify things a bit.

"XLF Initative" is the name of our group.  I use the word "initiative"
because this group exists only while it is moving.

"XLF Specification" is the Core specification that specifies the common
elements and attributes used to build application specific formats.

"XLF-HTTP Specification" is the specification for Extensible Log Format for
Web Server Logs.  This is our immediate goal.

HOMEWORK

I would like everyone to be familiar with the "Extended Log Format"
specification which is available at http://www.w3c.org/TR/WD-logfile  In
light of our new immediate objective, the spec has added importance to our
own effort and could serve as a common ground of understanding so that we
can communicate more effectively.

GOODBYTE

That is all for now.  Remember that XLF is not a shopping mall.  XLF is more
like that bus in the movie "Speed" and you are on it.  Do something about
it.

Best wishes,

Don Park
CTO/Docuverse