   Re: HTML to XML converter

  • From: "Robert Hanson" <rhanson@blast.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:16:15 -0400

>I am working on a project that needs to convert any HTML to XML.  Is there
>any available tool?

Not that I know of.... unless you a text processing language like Perl a
tool ( I do ).

There will be things like this in the future, but I think it mostly depends
on how exactly you want it converted.  In a project I did, the XML version
only barely resembled the HTML version... the XML was grouped differently
than the HTML page.  This required a custom solution.  ...On the other hand,
if you want something that is just XML compliant, then that is a whole other
story.

So I guess it depends on exactly what you want to do,

>can I use any XML parser to parse the HTML file?

The XML parser will only parse the XML file, not the HTML file...  so no.
Once the HTML is XML complient then the answer is still no ( because it
seems that most of the parsers out there are not 100% complient, but are
working on it ).  ...But most XML parsers ( if not all ) should work with
it, assuming that the XML document is "normal"... like UTF-8.

Robert Hanson

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)