   RE: EDI

  • From: "James K. Tauber" <jtauber@jtauber.com>
  • To: "'chris m hinds'" <chris.m.hinds@mail.sprint.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:15:33 +0800

> Xml-dev listeners:
>       I was reading the July 13th issue of Network World and
> ran across an XML article on page 6 regarding a software product that will
> bridge the gap between EDI and XML.  In this article, it suggests
> that XML was "concocted somewhat as a replacement for EDI."  Is this true?

XML certainly wasn't "concocted" as a replacement for EDI, but it can be
used for EDI. There is a lot of work being done on X12 and EDIFACT in XML
(along with  a number of heated discussions on whether using XML syntax
gives any benefits over X12).

XML has its origins as as a means for using SGML (and hence structured
documents) on the Web. It has a range of uses, but structured documents on
the Web was the original goal.

James

--
James Tauber / jtauber@jtauber.com      http://www.jtauber.com/