   Re: [Q] How should SAX support Namespaces?

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:15:41 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
To: XML Developers' List <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
Date: 20 July 1998 12:38
Subject: [Q] How should SAX support Namespaces?

>How should SAX support namespaces?  I can think of three

>3. Revised org.xml.sax.AttributeList and
org.xml.sax.DocumentHandler
>   to include the namespace as a separate (possibly-null)
argument:

My vote is definitely for (3), though (1) needs to be an
option for compatibility.

But rather than pass through the URN of the namespace in
each call, I would pass an integer identifying it within the
set of namespaces used in the document, with a separate
function to map that to a URN.

I guess people will also want to know the prefix used.
Although the prefix is theoretically arbitrary, there are
likely to be many conventional prefixes in use and
applications may want to leave the prefix unchanged in an
output document.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest