   Namespaces (was Re: XML Notepad)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:44:40

At 12:04 24/07/98 -0300, Mark Szpakowski wrote:
>At 04:24 PM 7/24/98 +0001, Simon North wrote:
>>   XML Notepad Beta 1,  July 22, 1998
>
>Unfortunately doesn't support namespaces... :-(

I sympathise.

The formal position is that there is no REC or PR for namespaces in XML. If
you read the rubric on WDs you will see that WDs can be obsoleted at any
time. Therefore anyone writing software to support a WD has to bear this in
mind and presumably the author(s) of this software did... and decided not
to include namespaces.

I am sure that there are many members of XML-DEV who wish to incorporate
namespaces into their software and documents. I have been hacking the
latest namespace draft into jumbo.xml.SAX - i.e. making it minimally
namespace-aware. I have to plan for what I have done to be made obsolete. I
am therefore hoping that there will be some clarification on namespaces
from the W3C RSN. When that happens I shall probably junk the JUMBO code
and hope that we can move to adding namespaces to SAX as rapidly as possible.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev