   RE: Naming Rules

  • From: "Portillo, Christina" <Alice.Portillo@PSS.Boeing.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:01:34 -0700

Reply to Chris Maden:
Thank you for your excellent pointer to an online ISO 8879. It would be
excellent if a similar thing could be done using the limitations and
expansions to the tagging ruleset defined by XML.

The question probably needs the more clarification in order for an
answer to be put forth.
	dash=45
	full-stop=46
	colon=58
	[A-Z]=65-90
	underscore=95
	[a-z]=97-122
In the XML SGML Declaration:
		NAMING
		     LCNMSTRT ""
		     UCNMSTRT ""
		     NAMESTRT
		     58 95 192-214 216-246 248-305 308-318 321-328
		     .....snip.....

		     LCNMCHAR ""
		     UCNMCHAR ""
		     NAMECHAR
		     45-46 183 720-721 768-837 864-865 903 1155-1158
		     ....snip....

		     NAMECASE
		     GENERAL NO
		     ENTITYNO

The values for upper case A-Z and lower case a-z are not explicitly
defined for NAMESTRT or NAMECHAR. I assume a default.

The values for underscore and colon are not defined in NAMECHAR. I see
nothing that would lead to assume a default for these values for
NAMECHAR. As I see nothing that would lead me to assume a default for
dash and period in NAMESTRT.

The Extended Naming Rules (http://www.sil.org/sgml/wg8N1896rev.html)
does not indicate the values for NAMECHAR and NAMESTRT are the same. In
fact it appears to me, that the range or character must be specified or
the characters are not an extended naming value for NAMECHAR or
NAMESTRT.

     NAMESTRT
          means that each character identified by the extended naming
value (if any) has the same
          effect as a character appearing in both UCNMSTRT and LCNMSTRT.

     NAMECHAR
          means that each character identified by the extended naming
value (if any) has the same
          effect as a character appearing in both UCNMCHAR and LCNMCHAR.

	[189] naming rules =
	      "NAMING", ps+,
	      "LCNMSTRT", (ps+, extended naming value)+, ps+,
	      "UCNMSTRT", (ps+, extended naming value)+, ps+,
	      ("NAMESTRT", (ps+, extended naming value)+, ps+)?,
	      "LCNMCHAR", (ps+, extended naming value)+, ps+,
	      "UCNMCHAR", (ps+, extended naming value)+, ps+,
	      ("NAMECHAR", (ps+, extended naming value)+, ps+)?,
	      "NAMECASE", ps+,
	      "GENERAL", ps+, ("NO"| "YES"), ps+,
	      "ENTITY", ps+, ("NO"| "YES")
	[189.1] extended naming value = parameter literal | character
number | character range
	[189.2] character range = character number, ps*, minus, ps*,
character number

Does this adequately detail the issue I am trying to resolve? Can you
clarify this for me?

Christina Portillo
Product Definition and Image Technology

The Boeing Company               Phone: 425.237.3351
PO Box 3707   M/S 6H-AF       Fax:     425.237.3428
Seattle, WA  98124-2207         christina.portillo@boeing.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)