   Re: Namespaces: prefixes vs. no prefixes

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:32:32 -0400

Ron Bourret wrote:

> This is undoubtedly a no-brainer, but it has just now occurred to me that the
> following two DTDs are almost certainly not the same.
>
> <!ELEMENT A (B+)>
> <!ELEMENT B (#PCDATA)>
>
> and
>
> <!ELEMENT FOO:A (FOO:B+)>
> <!ELEMENT FOO:B (#PCDATA)>

IMHO they are not, since the current namespace draft provides no
way to declare the meaning of unprefixed element names.

> One of the consequences of this is that if namespace prefixes are used in a DTD,
> they must be used in both the instance file and in the application.

"In the DTD iff in the instance" is certainly true.  The application
need not use them if it uses something similar to my namespace
prefix remapper.  Perhaps I should have an ability to declare a
prefix to be attached to unprefixed names, but I don't really see
the point of it.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)