   Re: Non-Validating XML Parsers: Requirements

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>, XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:58:49 -0700

At 01:29 PM 8/3/98 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>(There is nothing official about this: it is what I glean from
>reading the XML recommendation plus applying reason and common sense.)
>NVP = non-validating conforming parser(s).  Other capitalized terms
>are used as in RFC 2119.

FWIW, I agree with John's write-up, except that the phrase MAY NOT
is kind of misleading.  The spec says that an NVP may fail to detect
certain kinds of entity-related sins in the case that the entity
was declared where the processor wasn't looking and wasn't required
to look... the phrase MAY NOT suggests that the processor is forbidden
to do certain things. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)