   Re: API versioning in SAX

  • From: rbourret@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de (Ron Bourret)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 10:14:29 +0200

> Just to play the devil's advocate, are you sure you are not creating a
> technical solution to what everyone is more likely to solve with a
> non-technical one? If I'm the administrator of my server or my workstation,
and
> I see a new SAX driver out there, wouldn't I just read the README before I
even
> downloaded it to make sure that its capable of doing what my current does
(plus
> more maybe?) I doubt very seriously I'd just download new drivers and try them
> until one fails to fail, ya know? And, even if I did, the fact that it fails
> fail on the 3 apps I have now, doesn't mean it supports what I want to support
> on app #4, so I'm going to just read the docs and see what it supports most
> likely.

Generic, third party applications built on top of SAX are pretty much expected
to work with all SAX parsers -- that's the whole point of having a standard
interface.  An example of this kind of application is a spreadsheet (Excel,
Quattro Pro, Lotus 1-2-3, etc.) that uses a SAX parser to read data from an XML
file.

-- Ron Bourret

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest