   Re: Normalization of attribute values

  • From: Toby Speight <tms@ansa.co.uk>
  • To: "XML developers' list" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 06 Aug 1998 13:24:25 +0100

Peter> Peter Jones <URL:mailto:peterj@wrox.com>

0> In article
0> <c=GB%a=_%p=Wrox_Press%l=WROX2-980806114656Z-578@mail.wrox.co.uk>,
0> Peter wrote:

Peter> Can you tell me whether it is still the case that XML parsers
Peter> normalize the data passed to a surrounding application?  Or are
Peter> there smarter parsers out there now?

What do you mean by "normalise"?  Do you mean that whitespace is
collapsed/removed from IDREFS, NMTOKENS, and ENTITIES values?  Do you
mean that character and entity references are replaced?  Or something
different?

In the first case, it's obviously not possible unless the parser reads
the DTD (if not, then all attributes are treated as CDATA).

[I'm assuming that by "data" you mean attribute values, since you
mention that in your Subject.  "data" might be a bad choice of term in
this case, as to many - particularly to those who use DSSSL -it means
all the character content of an element.]

(un)subscribe xml-dev