   Questions on schema and other XML issues

  • From: "Sam Gentile" <samg@fundtech.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:56:40 -0400

We have a spec called "XML-Data W3C Note 05 Jan 1998", which discusses
schemas. It is not clear from the document what a schema is used for or what
it's purpose is. Is it for designing the XML buffer only or is it read by
the parser? Is it an extension to XML? Are they even necessary in basic XML?

Also, we have been hearing rumors of a "short" XML notation. Is there one?
We have a need to reduce the size of our buffers.

Can you do this in XML:?

<1>
    <1>test</1>
</1>

Can they have the same name or this the namespace extension we have been
hearing about? What are namespaces? Are they in the spec now?

Thanks very much,

Sam Gentile
Senior Software Engineer
Fundtech Corporation