   Re: Offtopic: Web Standards Project

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 21:37:54

At 12:02 08/08/98 -0500, W. Eliot Kimber wrote [at his normal incredible
typing speed]:

>[NOTE: The following is mostly an incoherent rant that is only marginally
>connected to the WSP. Consider it a potential source of comedy relief--no
>offence is meant to the WSP or its members--WEK.]

Eliot's posts are always worth reading, but I suggest we don't spend a lot
of time on discussing standards in general. It's worth considering what
XML-DEV in particular can do to help the cause of interoperability.
Although we all know that many people will implement the current WDs and
REC's by themselves and for their own purposes it remains true that doing
the whole lot - in anything but a large organisation - is a largish effort.
Therefore the community in general - profit and non-profit - has found it
worth their whiles to use the SAX interface that we/DavidM have developed.
I think we have a similar opportunity with namespaces.

I'm looking forward to seeing followups on recent postings about APIs,
filters, etc. for SAX/namespaces. As several people have pointed out the
syntax can be managed and a uniquified document passed to the application.
I'm looking forward to being a consumer of such information as I've started
to think about how multiple namespaces can be fed into display/editor -
specifically for data management rather than text. I shall probably release
a JUMBO snapshot of this fairly shortly - but at present it's based on
'old' namespaces.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg