   XML libraries (was ISO 8601 comments)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:14:15

At 11:44 12/08/98 +0000, Chris Hubick wrote:
[...]
>	On the more general note...is there a repository for general
>domain nonspecific DTD's for stuff like times, dates, directory listings,
>etc?  It would be nice if we could have one place for all this, and
>software for parsing and representing information stored in these formats.
>I mean, as soon as I find myself creating declarations for stuff like
>datetime I know someone else must have done it already, and probably have
>a Java class which can load itself using SAX events.  What are the large
>companies such as Microsoft using for this in stuff like Office 2000?

I completely agree with this - I make this sort of suggestion every two
months or so on XML-DEV. The collection of additional libraries for XML (in
common languages like Java, Perl, C(++)) would be of enormous value. Some
should be directly related to XML functionality (e.g. isValidXMLName(String
version)) while others would provide CDC-like support. As an example,
isValidXMLName() is probably liftable from various parsers (I am sure it's
well exposed in XML4J).

It takes time, of course, and to do it as a virtual community would be an
enormous challenge. A first step would be to identify that functionality
where it already exists in publicly available software. And for authors to
announce this availability when the announce software.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev