   Re: [Q]single Vs. double quote in representing AttValue

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:20:24 +1000

Jiyun Lee wrote:

> Is there any differences between sigle quote and double quote
> in representing the attribute's value? In the spec, both are possble.
> I'd like to know the rule for using them,  if the rule exists.

No, there's no difference. This has been carried through as a limited means of presenting attribute values that
contain quotation marks as data characters. For instance, you might use:
  <foo bar="you're it">
or
  <foo bar='she said "fire", I think'>
but still not
  <foo bar="she said "you're it", I think">
or
  <foo bar='she said "you're it", I think'>
as the first occurrence of a quotation mark that matches the opening one delimits the attribute value.

The rule is - be careful...

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc@allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info@allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774