   Re: James Anderson's table

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:59:20 +0200

John Cowan wrote:

> [... yes, thank you.]
>
> But anyway, here are the correct values, based on the principle
> that a value defaulted from the DTD is equivalent in every way

I am not certain that this is "correct". As I had noted in the "cover note", I
had followed one of the alternatives:

  IV: for the moment, i've chosen the precedence
       tag-content,
       bindings-from-containing-elements,
       attribute-defaults
  where the bindings-from-containing-elements takes its initial value from the xml-decl.

The justification is that lexically apparent bindings (modulo the answer on
entities) take precedence over declared defaults. One could reasonable take
that a step further, and argue that the distinction fixed v/s simply default
on a declared attribute should figure here as well, with the effect that fixed
defaults take precedence over the bindings in the lexical context, while
simple defaults do not. I didn't do that, but the information is there to make
the distinction, and I don't see anything "wrong" with it.

> to one explicitly present in the instance (except of course that
> if both are available, the explicit one takes precedence):

> The cell "cb" vs. "cd" can come out either way, depending on which
> is the nearer ancestor.

This is also not self-evident. The presence of the lexically apparent binding
could quite reasonably be said to take precedence. I would hestitate to say
proximity is the right criteria for precedence until either I've seen some
'real' instances or the standard describes the situation and specifies how to
resolve it.
[Even then I might differ on whether it was "right", but at least I'd be
certain about what to implement...]

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)