   ANNOUNCE: sgrep-1.71a - search and index SGML, XML and HTML files

  • From: Jani Jaakkola <jjaakkol@cs.Helsinki.FI>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:02:34 +0300 (EET DST)

This announcement has been posted to comp.text.sgml and comp.text.xml
as well. I'm also forwarding this to xml-dev, since sgrep is nowadays
XML-aware tool and still in development. I'd very much like to
hear comments about sgreps new XML-query and indexing features.

Announcement follows:

I have made available binary versions of sgrep-1.71a for both Win32
and i386-Linux.

Sgrep is a tool to search and index text, SGML, XML and HTML files using
structured patterns.

Sgrep-1.71a should be considered as a prerelease of Sgrep-2, which is
still under development. This means that:

- New features might be included before final release.
- Existing features might be changed.
- It is guaranteed to have bugs.
- Sources are not yet available.
- All suggestions are welcome.

NEW FEATURES

Major new features since sgrep-1.0 which are already present:
- Indexing of both structure and content.
- SGML/XML/HTML scanner.
- Official W32 binary.
- sgtool has been dumped. It never really worked and even when it
  did, it wasn't very useful.
- Should be completely compatible with older versions of sgrep.

Features which will be present in sgrep-2.0:
- Proper documentation
- Support for querying notations, element type declarations and
  attribute list declarations inside SGML/XML document prolog
- Parsing of all well-formed XML-documents.

Features which might be present in sgrep-2.0:
- Regular expressions.
- Nearness operators.
- Unicode support.

For more information about sgrep:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jjaakkol/sgrep.html

For complete description of new features:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jjaakkol/sgrep/README.txt

For downloading sgrep:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jjaakkol/sgrep/downloading.html

Sgrep was made by: