   Re: Namespaces Not Necessarily Unrepentant Evil

  • From: David Rosenborg <David.Rosenborg@xsse.se>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:20:49 +0100

james anderson wrote:

> In this situation, either of the encodings

[snip]

> express the relations which you describe.

and

One person wrote (in a directed reply):

> Note that you can name an element by giving it an ID attribute.
> I'm not sure if this solves your problem, though.

Thanx for your answers. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but my question was on
the conceptual level, not about a particular problem instance.

I sought a discussion of how DTDs, AFs and other Schemas deal with the
distinction of type names and named instances of types.

And this distinction is also valid for traditional documents not
just encoded data.

One person wrote (in a directed reply):

> XML came via SGML from a document-centric world and isn't really intended
> to model object-oriented polymorphic languages.

I'm from both worlds, but I see no reason why
you cannot apply polymorphism and other pardigms of
object-oriented languages to even plain old documents.
Also, the lines between programming languages, data and documents are
getting fuzzier all the time. And I hope it gets even fuzzier :-)

Cheers,

</David>