   Re: XML Namespace

  • From: james anderson <James.Anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:22:40 +0200

James Robertson wrote:

> At 07:26 31/08/1998, John Cowan wrote:
>
>   | Steve Dahl scripsit:
>   | > From that, I inferred that prefixes are assumed to lack either
>   | > uniqueness or persistence (or both), or else they could have been used
>   | > as the namespace name to begin with. This means that it's not impossible
>   | > that I might have a collision between two different Namespaces being
>   | > associated with the same prefix. In that case, what would I need to do
>   | > if I wanted to mix element types from two different DTDs that had the
>   | > same prefix but which are intended to be bound to different Namespaces?
>
>   | Learn to relax and live without DTDs.  The new namespace proposal
>   | makes them useless anyway, so people are now trying to develop
>   | various replacements for them.
>
> Doesn't this statement make people scared?!?
>
> First off, I still remember Tim Bray's statement at the Sydney
> XML conference last year, to the effect that he was worried
> that having XML without DTDs was going to cause a lot
> of problems down the track.
>
> More significantly to me, I _want_ DTDs. The whole point
> to me, and to a whole lot of other people, is that SGML/XML
> enforces consistency of structure. You need a DTD to
> ensure that.

agreed.

> Instant legacy data!
>
> Doesn't this worry _anyone_?

yes.

I've already been berated for suggesting that the problem is solved by
supporting a binding form with a scope over the dtd, but, since I need the
information, that's the path I'm following until the DTD-replacement appears
over the horizon.
In particular, since the namespace pi is no longer covered by the spec, I
understand that I'm free to go ahead and use it as the necessary binding
expression. Given it, the DTD-merges are possible and I can get at the default
information which I need.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)