   Re: XML ATTRIBUTES : Are they attribute Names or Type Names?

  • From: David Rosenborg <David.Rosenborg@xsse.se>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 10:06:03 +0100

Hi,

Yes, this is exactly what I'm aiming at.

Mark Tucker wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>         I'm not sure what you said about typenames and attribute
> names, but I wonder if it is this problem. XML ELEMENT names are
> confused about whether they are acting as programming language "type
> names", or as programming language "field names".

[snip]

> <RECTANGLE>     -- type
>   <lower-left>          -- field
>       <POINT>           -- type
>           <x>3</x>      -- field
>           <y>4</y>
>       <POINT>
>   </lower-left>
> </RECTANGLE>

In a strongly typed system you could also write it like this

<rectangle>
</rectanlge>

And the fact that lower-left is of type point would be expressed
in the schema. I guess that architectural forms
provide the basic machinery to express these relations at the
XML level (that is structurally), but I would also like
to formally express the relations of types and names in the
application level with some schema.

Cheers,

</David>