   Re: Tools to convert Word to XML?

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 18:15:01 +1000

Michael Brennan wrote:

> Andrew Cogan wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend good tools that can convert Word files to XML? I
> > don't need tools that claim XML compatibility per se; any utility that
> > gives me control over what tag to insert at the beginning of a style and
> > at the end of a style would probably suffice. The ability to work with
> > Word footnotes is a big plus.
>
> Inso Corporation, I believe, has a tool to convert Word documents to
> SGML files. I know nothing of the tool, though. I've simply seen it
> mentioned on their web site.

I think that's DynaTag - used to get documents into DynaText quickly. I believe
it works OK, though I've never used it. My pick is Rick Geimer's beerware - it
can be found at http://www.sesha.com/omlette/#rtf2xml. I've tested it in the past
and found it to be very good. It leaves you with valid XML ripe for the
inevitable next stage of manipulation - trying to infer the nesting. It's a great
way out of RTF and into something valid. Rick kindly released this under the GNU
General Public License and only requests payment if you roll it into a paying
project, I think.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                 email:  mrc@allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia) email:  info@allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street    www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia   phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                            fax:    +61 2 9262 4774