   Re: Licensing policies (was Re: ANN: Docuverse DOM SDK PR2

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 22:50:58 -0700

>For those people using the DOM SDK now and who enjoy the product, I would
>encourage these people to plea for Docuverse to charge something for a
>license, even if it is as low as $99 so that they can have some solace in
the fact
>that there will be future quality versions of the DOM SDK.  99$ is
basically the
>same cost as 3 development hours for the average engineer.  If 99$ is too
much money
>to spend on any commercial product, then your whole business plan for your
>needs some serious reevaluation.  Small ISV's like Docuverse should not
>pressured to capitulate to the large ISV's like IBM or Microsoft who can
afford to
>give all their tools away for free in their efforts to squelch the up and

Thanks for the thought but even if all of the hundred or so DOM SDK users I
am aware of sent me a check for $99, it will not even begin to cover the
cost of developing and maintaining the DOM SDK. It is also unfair to tax
early developers with financial burden.  They are mostly individual
developers with pioneering spirits working in explorative projects which are
not usually funded well.  I think it makes more sense to 'invest' in
encouraging these pioneers so that XML-based technologies will be widely
accepted in corporations around the world.  At this time, far less than 1%
of data in corporations are in XML format.  When the figure exceeds 10%, we
will begin to see the fruits of our combined efforts.

Don Park

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)