   Re: Licensing policies (was Re: ANN: Docuverse DOM SDK PR2

  • From: "Bill la Forge" <b.laforge@jxml.com>
  • To: "Lisa Rein" <lisarein@finetuning.com>, "Tyler Baker" <tyler@infinet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 11:14:40 -0400

>And the other thing to consider, for those of you who (understandably)
>have maybe already been biting the bullet financially for a lot longer
>than I've even known what an abstract data model was, is that when this
>stuff takes off, and it will ;-)...there are really only going to be a
>couple hundred people (max) that are going to really understand it well
>enough to implement it on the grand scale that is going to be required.
>And THAT is then when the capitalistic principles of supply and demand
>will be in our favor in a big way -- plus we'll be able to offer more
>practically-feasible, intellectually-fulfilling solutions, to the world
>and each other, precisely because we did not sacrifice quality and
>integrity for a quick buck early on.

Lisa,

Any product in the $99 class has got to be looking at a broad base of
sales--which is what I want to do with some of the Coins add-on's like a
revised mint capability. What seems to make sense to me is to price it at
$99.00 for the final commercial version, but to keep it in "free beta" mode
until the market is ready.

(Not to mislead, JXML is also looking at other development tools that would
be at a much higher price and consequently require a much smaller market.)

Frankly, I'd rather be working on this stuff (only) full time and get my
life back. I think it is important to set up a reasonable business model,
while taking care to develop that market.

There will always be a place for enabling technology. I believe in open
source, too--makes for better software. And coming from The Open Group, I've
seen how commercial constraints on software lead to all kinds of
complications for researchers.

So lets admit that it is complicated, and be sensitive in our policies. But
to realize our dreams, we need the commercial side too. I for one would like
to see a market develop which encouraged independent developers and small
independent companies. There's got to be a better business model than trying
to be bought up by Microsoft.

XML is a simplifier. That makes it both pro-freeware and pro-small business.
We don't need the large products to have something useable. Can we see our
way as a community to a business model that truely serves all our needs?

Bill

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)