   Re: Shocking News: Namespaces and Non-Validation

  • From: Jim Amsden <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:31:14 -0400

The problem is that the namespace spec does not define the semantics of a name.

<D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:">

specifies that prefix D corresponds to namespace DAV:, but it does not say what
this means. Applications are free to treat the prefix and the namespace name in
any way they desire. So the above is NOT equivalent to

<DA:multistatus xmlns:DA="AV:">

in any way. This isn't too surprising as DAV: and AV: are two different URIs
possibly representing two different namespaces But its not so obvious that this
one isn't equivalent either:

<DA:multistatus xmlns:DA="DAV:">

In this case, the local name for the elements are the same, as are their
namespaces. But the namespace spec says these are different elements having
different tag names. I think this is putting misplaced implied semantics on tag
name prefixes. The semantics should be on the local name and the namespace name
with the prefix being a notional convenience used to indicate the namespace
name. Then the prefix used in the DTD is independent of the ones used in any
document that is validated by it. This allows users to use whatever prefix they
need in order to avoid name collisions. If we're forced to use the same prefix
as defined in the DTD in order to validate documents, the namespace spec hasn't
changed anything. Names collisions will now happen because we can't use the
same prefix for more than one namespace.

Note that I'm not implying that tag names are the concatenation of the
namespace name and the local part of the tag name as specified by WebDAV
semantics, only that two elements with the same namespace name and local name
are treated as the same element type.

owner-xml-dev@ic.ac.uk on 09/09/98 09:27:29 AM
Please respond to mct@foyt.indyrad.iupui.edu