   DTD vs Schema

  • From: "AMER, Nidal" <Nidal.AMER@hdmp.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:33:14 +0200

Dear all,

Some beginner's questions, just don't laugh:
1.	What is the right way to describe XML message syntax: DTD or
schema. I started by looking at Microsoft site. The publish
documentation on schema but nothing about DTD. They also say schema is a
better way to describe XML as it is XML.
2.	Is there anywhere a clear documentation on DTD without diving
into the whole SGML DTD stuff? I am lost between HTML4 DTD, SGML DTD and
XML DTD.
3.	The database I am working on is highly hierarchical. MS schema
documentation describes uses SUPERTYPE to declare inheritance. Is there
any equivalent DTD declaration?

Could anybody give me a hand with this?
Many thanks in advance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~