   Re: coming clean with the SGML crowd (was re: namespaces)

  • From: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 00:42:57 -0500

Tim Bray wrote:

> I repeat: all this noise about the difficulty of validation is
> completely missing the real point, namely we have neither a theoretical
> basis nor industry experience to guide us in constructing and using
> compound schemas (DTDs or any other sort), and doing partial validation.

I believe that we have both industry experience AND a formal model.

The industry experience is that people can build compound schemas by
combining schema parts through *parameter* entities. I highlight the word
*parameter* because it is the hint to how a more robust solution must
work: it must parameterize content models and schema fragments. The
problem with parameter entities is that they are way too flexible because
they work at a textual level. We have the right model, but the wrong
mechanism. So to move beyond that, we must implement parameterization in a
more structured sense.
--
The so-called "module proposal" did the same thing with SGML DTD syntax.
(it uses a not-sufficient-constrained variety of parameter entities,

http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/document/1987.htm
http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/document/1982.htm
--

The formal model is the forest automata theory. See:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0017.html

This post shows how to do parameterization and composition.

The past is inaccurate. Whoever lives long enough knows how much what he
had seen with his own eyes becomes overgrown with rumor, legend a
magnifying or belittling hearsay. "It was not like that at all!" --
he would like to exclaim, but will not, for they would have seen only
his moving lips without hearing his voice. - Czeslaw Milosz (translated)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)