   RE: namespaces discussion

  • From: Peter Jones <peterj@wrox.com>
  • To: 'Murray Altheim' <altheim@mehitabel.eng.Sun.COM>, 'XML-DEV' <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:11:44 +0100

	[Peter Jones]  The idea I'm driving at is that DTDs should not
be tied down to namespace prefixes, and should be maximally re-useable.
The namespace prefix should be used only as a shorthand within the
document. THe URI of the namespace can (for user option) be made to have
significance (beyond avoiding name collisions) by denoting the address
of a document entity where declarations lie. Validation would then be
against a declaration which only concerns the name part of the qualified
name.

	DTD entity contains:
	<!ELEMENT   number   (content1 | content2| content3) >

	Document contains
	(ignoring the fact that I can't remember the exact syntax)

	<foo:number xmlns:foo="http://...[whatever]">

	Where the URI refers to the file containing the declaration
above, and validation takes place only on the name "number" NOT the
qualified name "foo:number".

	You can then have old style DTDs or compound docs or whatever.

> It doesn't address the real issues the arise when one is attempting to
>
> create a 'compound' document type from multiple sources. The namespace
> draft solves only one problem (name collisions), but it introduces a
> few other (what are IMO profound) problems.
>
> As for nebulosity, we don't need nebulosity, we need a DTD with both
> of
> its feet on solid ground.
>
> Murray

> ..
> Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey
> <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
> Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
> Sun Microsystems, 901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK17-102, Palo Alto, CA
> 94303-4900
>
>        Ernst Martin comments in 1949, "A certain degree of noise in
>        writing is required for confidence. Without such noise, the
>        writer would not know whether the type was actually printing
>        or not, so he would lose control."

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)