   Re: Opportunities for XML-DEV

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Bob Parks" <bobp@lightlink.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 02:00:47 -0400

Bob,

>I can imagine that it would be fairly easy to formulate
>interesting queries to the dictionary-thesaurus when marked up in xml.  But
>I'm wondering what sort of applications this data might enable?

Of the top of my head, I havn't a clue! but if the information was out there
it would give us some thing to work with! I bet it wouldnt be long before
some one came up with a Activexcontrol or an applet to search your material!

Are there any "general" uses for dictionary data in the XML
>community?

I don't know about the XMl community (although reading some of the posts
both the dictionary and the thesaurus most definitly needs to be used
<grin/>), but it would be information of real value for the web ingeneral.

The lack of such material I think it is an example of what Peter is worried
about when he states that there is a dearth of data out ther marked up in
XML

regards,
Frank

P.S I took the liberty of posting this reply to XML-DEV as well.

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm