   RE: xml/xsl and MS activeX control

  • From: Graham Moore <graham.moore@dpsl.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk,bunner@massquantities.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 8:41:43 +0000

>  I'm using XT, but only because I wanted to learn the working draft. In my
> opinion, the proposed note that MSXSL implements is more immediately
> useful.

I would agree with that.

>  (if I had a Java development environment, I would probably have
> altered the way XT spits out the result tree)

Would you not consider this to be providing  you with more control? Beyond
simply producing the output you require.

I guess my comments were aimed at the nature of the control and
implementation as opposed to which XSL was being used. I find that the XT
java approach allows the construction of scalable and  managable solutions.
For example, its easy to pass an InputStream to XT from either a URL or a
serialised Grove or something else. The MSXSL ctrl's COM interface is
limited and non-extensible.

I believe that seeing how a thing works and having the ability to modify or
extend it is a powerful thing. Consider a situation with a large XML or  XSL
file, if the MSXSL ctrl can't handle it, it can't handle it and there's not
alot you can do without the solution being contrived. With an open OO
solution you have the power to solve the problem without breaking the model
or imposing future constraints.

graham.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest