   Re: Namespaces from where?

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:51:00 -0400

Tim Bray wrote:

>Users and developers *can* be represented; but they have to pay for the
>privilege.  Since the amounts aren't exorbitant, it seems like a good
>practical bozo-filter to me.  Speaking as one who has been inside the
>process for the last couple of years, it is absolutely *not* the case
>that the discussions are dominated in any practical way by Netscape
>and Microsoft, or that those guys always get what they want. -Tim

I can't join. The W3C won't take my money. Various non-profit groups I
belong to like WWWAC can join, but the W3C still allow me or any other
members a voice in the process, because we aren't allowed to particpate in
the working groups.  The W3C process is designed to serve the interests of
commercial software developers, and these are the only people who are
allowed to be members in any practical sense.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@sunsite.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
|        XML: Extensible Markup Language (IDG Books 1998)            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764531999/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://sunsite.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://sunsite.unc.edu/xml/     |