   Re: URNs, FPIs, and RFC 1737

  • From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@dns.isogen.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:53:59 -0500

At 02:27 PM 9/21/98 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>I would urge anyone who still thinks that FPIs should be freely creatable by
>random persons to read RFC 1737 (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1737.txt
>and many other places around the net) and then think about the following
>question:
>
>Would it be perfectly all right for someone to use
>"-//IETF//NONSGML DOCUMENT RFC822//EN" as an FPI for the
>Independent Counsel's Report (URL http://icreport.loc.gov/icreport)?

Only if that someone was an authorized agent of the IETF charged with the
authority to assign public IDs within the -//IETF name space to resources.
Otherwise no, but only because it is wrong to use names in a space you
don't control.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)