   Information needed -- Please help

  • From: Usha_R2@verifone.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:13:15 +0530

Hi! All,
   Can you give me some information regarding the following questions. I
won't be able to proceed further until these questions are clarified.
Please give me as much of information as possible on these questions.

Question 1 :
A wide range of tools exists that offer HTML design and editing
facilities, including the multi-language support intrinsically available
on current Windows Environment.
How do support Multi language in XML. Are there any editing tools
available which help in doing this.

Question 2 :
 What is the use of using a <TABLE> tag in HTML file. Can any anybody
please give information on this and how is it useful?

Question 3 :
 A parsed XML file can be specified using a TABLE tag in HTML. What
advantage does this give and for what purposes can I use this?

Question 4:
 An XSL sheet can be used for defining the format in which the contents
of XML file have to presented. Instead of using an XSL sheet can I put
the information associated for presenting the content in XML file only,
using attributes. What is the advantage of using XSL over the second
approach. Please clarify.

To make it more clear consider the following example:

I defined a receipt in the following manner:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE receipt SYSTEM "receipt.dtd">

<receipt>
        <ITEM     Name="H1"         Text="Receipt"  Alignment="CENTER"
Font="BOLD"   Size="7" />
        <ITEM     Name="amount"  Value="1000"    Alignment="RIGHT"
Font="PLAIN"   Size="4" />
        <ITEM     Name="tip"          Value="10"
Alignment="RIGHT"     Font="PLAIN"   Size="4" />
</receipt>

I want to know whether it is a good idea to put Alignment, Font, Size as
attributes of ITEM ELMENT or put all this information an XSL sheet.
Please let me know the advantages and disadvantages in this approach.

Is it a better idea to do the same process using HTML using the FONT tag
etc. ( Going through XSL I found that the <FONT> tag is deprecated).

I am very sorry for posting so many question and also questions
regarding HTML. I am trying to find out which of the two (XML or HTML)
is a better approach.

Waiting for a fast reply.

Thanks in advance
Usha